Monday, June 11, 2012

When silence is sinful

I know this blog was originally created to keep Maryknollers in Fields Afar up to speed on goings on here at Mission Central. As such I tried to report what others were saying or doing (at least those things I could report without risking a liable suit). But times being what they are, I decided to violate a basic tenet of journalism by actually creating the buzz instead of just reporting it.

When the Vatican chose to announce a crackdown on the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR) on my birthday (April 18, for those who'd like to mark their calendars for next year, under "Significant Dates in History" right after the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere), I knew I had to acknowledge this rather unorthodox (and I use the word intentionally) gift.

I approached the U.S. Regional Superior (just re-elected, congrats, Mike!) asking when Maryknoll, if not the Conference of Major Superiors of Men (CMSM), would issue a statement of support. He reported that our counterpart to the LCWR was waiting on the Sisters to respond. In the mean time, I understand he spoke with our Secretary General, Father Ed McGovern, to encourage that the Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers at least have a statement ready.

Well, it has now been two weeks since the LCWR issued a statement responding to the situation. To my knowledge (which I concede may be severely limited) neither the men's group nor Maryknoll Society has publicly issued a statement (except for those Franciscan Friar firebrands!)

I remember a quote (just can't remember whose!) that was on the wall in our history class in high school: "To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of us men." Here, the archaic exclusive language seems sadly fitting. Paradoxically, it's usually us men who tend to act first and discuss later, so this seems an inordinate amount of time for the sound of silence.

Who knows, an official statement may in fact appear in the next few hours or days.

Until such time, I feel compelled to speak out. And, as my disclaimer header explains, I do not represent the Society. This affords me a certain freedom to articulate my own thoughts in support of the Sisters. Please check back to Knollnews in a few hours!

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment