Saturday, September 12, 2009

Petition successful!

THE PETITION TO SUPPRESS the U.S. Region, suspend the voting, name a Council member superior and appoint Wayne as Administrator has succeeded—in getting everyone upset and talking. Hey, at least they're talking about things other than sports and colonoscopies (see post for Sept. 8 "Omnia Maryknoll in duo partes divisa est.")

I have no idea what the results were, as only a few guys cc-ed me. But I know of at least six who signed and sent it in and another six who vehemently opposed all or part of the petition. Everyone agreed on the unseemly haste of the vote. Some want it suspended, others to proceed.

John Kaserow sent a lengthy rebuttal to the petition (but I still disagreed with him!) which I shall post later today. He belongs to the group that doesn't think next month's retreat the appropriate venue for the regional discussion this situation demands. He argues it will only subvert (my word) the retreat atmosphere. He's right. However, whether we allot time for this discussion at the retreat or not, unless the balloting produces a clear winner this round (and I still don't think it will), it WILL be a topic of discussion and on everyone's mind.

That being said, I know Br. Jim Zullo (the retreat director) well. If he is given a heads-up on what is bubbling beneath the surface, it will dovetail perfectly with his retreat structured around the Emmaus experience.

And so, the pot having been stirred, my work for now is done.

REMINDER: MARYKNOLL CENTER HAS NO ELECTRICITY FROM 8:30 to 4 P.M. TODAY AND NO LANDLINE PHONE SERVICE. (ST. TERESA'S AND OTHER BUILDINGS NOT EFFFECTED.)


No comments:

Post a Comment